Your Missions Committee has adopted a new project assisting the local homeless community through the Elizabeth Foundation (http://theelizabethfoundation.org/). The Elizabeth Foundation collects items throughout the week and delivers to several local homeless tent camps each Sunday. Everyone can help with this effort in a safe, socially distanced way while also clearing lesser-used items out of your house.
You can help in two ways:
- Donate items from the list shown below. Nearly all of these items can be gently used (or well used in the case of backpacks and rolling suitcases). You can also purchase clothing for cheap prices at Goodwill and other thrift stores. This is a great way to clean out your closets!
- Purchase hygiene kit items off our Amazon wish list so our youth group can pack them up on Sunday, April 18 (new date). The wish list will close on Sunday, April 11 so order soon. Please let Amazon ship the items directly to the Missions Committee so we can confirm inventory on hand.
Items most needed (in order of importance):
- Men’s and women’s clothing in all sizes but especially needed are men’s pants (long & short) and belts in sizes 30-36* (Durable clothes work best; dressier clothes will be donated to a half-way house)
- Men’s and women’s underwear (new only)
- NO socks – they have a regular sock supplier for now
- Bath towels, hand towels, and washcloths*
- Blankets and comforters*
- Sheet sets and pillows*
- Used backpacks, small duffel bags, reusable cloth grocery bags
- Used suitcases with wheels (carry-on size)
- Jackets and light coats in all sizes
- Small tubes of antibiotic ointment
- Small bottles of wound wash
- Heavy duty outdoor trash bags
- Quart and gallon-sized zip lock bags
- Disposable aluminum pans with clear, locking lids
- Disposable plastic plates and bowls
* For used clothes, towels, blankets, and sheets please launder these items before donating. Items purchased at a thrift store can be donated as is.
Please bring all of your donated items to the outdoor services on Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday. Bringing them in a bag or box would be helpful. If you cannot attend either outdoor service and need items picked up, please email Brad Van Duser at email@example.com.
To support our youth’s hygiene kit packing project, please visit our Amazon wish list at https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3UGIP9K3A6RU6?ref_=wl_share and order items by Sunday, April 11 so they arrive in time for the event. Please accept the default shipping address so they are sent directly to the Missions Committee.
The Elizabeth Foundation is also looking for volunteers interested in helping on Sundays to sort and bag items, load cars, and distribute items in parking lots next to homeless camps. Hot food and bag lunches are also served to the homeless at this time. Contact Brad for more information.
Thank you for your support!