- This happening has passed.
Thanksgiving Food Drive
September 29 – November 19
For the last 39 years, Chamblee First UMC has sponsored a food drive that provides families in our community with a Thanksgiving Food Basket including fruit, vegetables, and a variety of canned and dried food items. These families are identified with the assistance of our local school counselors and social workers. Our goal this year is to help 200 families in need within our schools and surrounding community!
For the 2022 Thanksgiving Food Drive, we have increased volunteer opportunities for the church and the community. Large collection bins will be readily accessible at all CFUMC events. Additionally, each Sunday between now and Nov.13, the congregation will be asked to bring specific items for donation during Modern and Traditional services. Our goal is to collect enough food so that we may provide multiple meals to each family of four. Please sign up to volunteer at chambleeumc.org/Thanksgiving2022
Instructions and guidelines
- Purchase (2) new, reusable grocery bags from your grocer of choice.
- Fill bags with some or all of the items listed below. Be sure to check expiration dates!
- Cans and plastic only, please. NO glass jars.
- Using a zip-tie or sturdy string, bind your bags together as one set. Boxed items are also acceptable.
- Drop off bags at Chamblee First UMC. Donations will be accepted any Sunday during church services, weekdays during office hours only, and at all CFUMC events between now and Nov. 13.
Items to pack
- 1 – 16oz bag of dried beans (red beans, black beans, lentils, etc.)
- 1 – 16oz bag of rice
- 2 – boxes or bags of 1lb dried pasta or noodles
- 2 – 12 oz canned meats (tuna, salmon, chicken, etc.)
- 2 – 6 or 8 pack of fruit cups (peaches, pears, mandarin oranges, etc)
- 2 – 24 oz cans or plastic jars of tomato sauce, marinara, canned tomatoes
- 6 – 15 oz canned vegetables
- 1 – cereal (oatmeal, boxed, individual box pack)
- 2 – cans pasta meals like spaghetti-o’s or ravioli
- 2 – boxes of mac and cheese or 8 ct box of microwavable cups
- 1 – box of cracker packs or granola bars
- 1 – 28 oz plastic bottle peanut butter
- 1 – 30 oz plastic bottle jelly
- 2 – Hygiene items such as toothpaste, shampoo, body soap, deodorant, etc.
Monetary and Gift Card Donations
We are also accepting financial donations via our website or mail, as well as $25 grocery store gift cards (Kroger, Publix, Walmart, Aldi.) To make a donation online, go to chambleeumc.org/give. Click “donate online”, enter the amount, click the small arrow next to “fund” and choose “food ministry.” Click “give once”, enter an email address, click “continue” and “confirm.” If you are providing gift cards, please put them in an envelope and mail or hand deliver to the church..
Other Ways to Help
If you would like to help collect/organize donations, can assist with speaking to our Spanish families, or are available to distribute bags on 11/19 & 11/20, please sign up sign up here. If you have any questions or need more information, email Linda King at firstname.lastname@example.org or Cathy Newbill at email@example.com. Thank you for your generosity!